Learn more about each type of session
One Week Sessions
One week sessions at Camp Carvela offer arts/crafts, sports & games, drama and music, swimming, canoeing, paddle boarding, hiking, sleep-outs in the Lounge or Cottage – all the traditional camp activities. Alongside these, we always have crazy-weird-wonderful activities available from the imaginative brains of our campers and staff. These could come in the form of dressing up like frogs and embracing a frog life, to developing a canoeing expedition to find lost treasure around our islands in Bass Lake. One week sessions give first-time campers the opportunity to “try out” camp, while making friends and everlasting memories.
Two Week Sessions
Two-week sessions offer the opportunity and time to participate in more involved camp programming. In addition to all the traditional camp activities like arts/crafts, tie-dye, sleep-outs, mountain biking, sports & games, drama, swimming, canoeing, paddle boarding, and hiking, two-week sessions allow campers the time to participate in a camp play, work with staff to develop camp-wide evening programs, complete a large art project or adventure away from camp, into the woods, or on an overnight trip.
Day camp at Camp Carvela – explore our wonderful camp and wilderness areas while participating in all types of fun camp activities – swimming, paddleboarding, hiking, arts and crafts, drama, sports, etc. This program is staffed by our experienced and totally awesome camp counselors. Our Day Camp is a great way for new campers to get a taste and feel for our collaborative program.
A typical daily schedule:
- 8:30 AM: Arrive.
- 9:00 AM: Morning Program. Choose from a number of activities presented, ranging from the adventurous and wild to the calm and intricate. Campers can even plan ahead and present their own activities with counselors!
- 11:30 AM: Choices time. There are so many options for your choices time at Camp Carvela, including Gaga Ball, pingpong and endless arts and crafts. If you’re feeling more chill, we recommend hanging out in our screened blow-up-couch-filled outdoor lounge or staring up at the trees from our hanging net – The Web!
- 12:30 PM: Lunch time. Enjoy a delicious and nutritious lunch with all of camp in our dining hall, followed by singing camp songs and being silly!
- 1:30 PM: Mellow time. Campers could be hanging with their assigned ‘cabin group’, or they could be all together in the cottage for stories and songs, or everyone might take their own ‘listening point’ time, a reflective and calm practice.
- 2:30 PM: Afternoon Program. The same process as the morning program, but different choices! There’s always more!
- 4.30 PM: Choices time and snacks!
- 5:30 PM: Pick up, goodbye, see you tomorrow!
Learn More about our Manitou Add-ons
Lead by Crystalaire Adventures, the South Manitou add-on adventure is a 3 day trip which takes place immediately following our sessions. You’ll leave from camp on Friday morning and return to Crystalaire’s Moosehall at Camp Carvela on Sunday where you can be picked up, or participate in your 2nd residential session.
A part of our camp heritage – we owned a house on the island for years before it became a national park – we will travel by ferry to South Manitou. Fields and farms, ancient white cedars, and some of the best swimming around are an inevitable part of the trip. Lighthouse tours and plenty of time to become an expert in cooking over a fire come with the territory. A great trip for those who have never gone camping before, or are looking to take early camping experiences up a notch.
You can participate in an add-on trip without attending a residential session at Camp Lookout.